Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Definitely not Chef Boyardee


Over Christmas break I went to a small resort/farmhouse in San Miniato --- located just outside of Florence.

At the Assia Holiday House I went horseback riding for the first time in many years. My lesson reminded me that first, I absolutely love riding and second, I really need to get into shape. My legs were shaky at best when I dismounted my horse. Not to mention, I had to sit down very delciately for the next three days. However, I definitely missed the little adrenalin rush you get as the two ton beast you're perched upon charges forward.

During my time in San Miniato, I was also was treated to a 4 hour cooking class with Chef Marco. On the menu:
Antipasti
Verdure Fritte - cipolle, salvia, carciofi (Vegatables - onions, sage, artichokes, friend in a light batter)

Primi Piatti
Tagliatelle fatte a mano con salsa di carciofi
(Hand-made tagliatelle with artichokes)

Secondo Piatti
Pollo in umido all caccitora
(Chicken in vegetable sauce with olives)


Dessert
Crostata di frutta (Pie with custard and fruit decoration
)



Hopefully, when I get back to the States I can recreate these dishes. Still, it's worth noting that back in college Ramen Noodles and meat sauce was the height of my culinary expertise.... I've definitely come a long way!

Photo One by Arianna: Chef Marco and I in the Kitchen
Photo Two by Jaya Bird: Pollo in umido alla cacciatora
Photo Three by Jaya Bird Crostata di frutta

No comments:

Post a Comment