Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Jail Bird" to Jaya Bird

I've lived in DC for about 8 years now. It's amazing to read that. I came here to attend grad school for a couple years - I had no real idea that I would finish school in a year and half or that I'd remain in the Capital for so long.

After school I worked on Capitol Hill, and since then have been right in the center of all things political. Politics and all it entails - campaigns, Congress, the White House, American history, policy makers fighting like toddlers in a sandbox... All of this is to me what the World Series or a pro wrestling match is to an avid sports fan. CNN is my ESPN.

DC is the epicenter of the political world and all the Type As who inhabit the city, love it. As one of my non-political friends said,
"It's nuts, DC is the only city where a sports bar has CNN on (and people are watching) and where people get into a drunken brawl over who is to blame for the problems with America's health care or the holes in the Farm Bill."
Yep, it's nerd-i-licous.

After leaving the Hill I came to work for a non-profit that focuses on human rights in Central Africa. I continued my contact with Capitol Hill through my position in government relations. However, after two more years in DC, the political circus and the daily grind burned me out. D.C. was no longer a playground but more of a jail.

With the nudging and help of my family and the support of my wonderful friends I decided to break free --- in a big way.

I quit my job on August 20th. Rented my apartment. Shipped my dog, Bailey, to New Hartford, NY (Home) to stay with my parents. And will soon be jumping a flight to Europe for several months.

People who know me are kind of shocked at my decision. Frankly, so am I. It's not something I would normally do. But I have found, especially over the last year or so --- normal, is overrated.

So, I hope to compile my adventures, thoughts and discoveries on this blog. I am not sure what I hope to accomplish on this trip. At this point, I am not sure it's something I can articulate --- yet.

However, I do know that just making this huge decision is the first step towards something that is bigger and better - and that in itself is a victory (or in Sanskrit, " Jaya").

(By the Jaya Bird: This picture is from President Obama's 2009 inauguration - I was there!)

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing about your travels! Will you be going to Italy? Have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to become a vicarious member of the Jaya Bird flock. Hey did I just make up a thing? I think I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo! enjoy your adventure! may you truly absorb and enjoy each day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I'm gonna be part of the Jaya Bird flock. congrats on the next chapter of your life! Blessings!

    And u have helped inspire me too to break out of my own jail. Oh goodness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Meghna! I'm stoked to read about all your adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck Rage, enjoy the Flight...

    ReplyDelete